kataco…

lr-bonobo-07-249-138.jpg

I actually went into the nursery today. I was wondering whether Kataco remembered me, after all those weeks I spent with her last year. You always wonder whether animals remember, like people do. Or whether she was too young. Or whether we all look the same to them.

Ordinarily Kata is a bit shy around people. She loves the mamas, but she’s terrified of new people she doesn’t know.

As soon as I walked in, she crept up to me, scrunching up her little face – the mamas call her ‘matoke’ which means ‘she who scrunches up her face’ – and put her face very close to mine and touched my hair.

‘She remembers you,’ said Mama Henriette.

And I felt so honoured. She climbed on my lap, gave me a little kiss, climbed down and held my hand. I love Kata. I don’t care that she throws tantrums. That little wrinkly face just makes me want to hug her to death

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments

1. Posted July 21, 2008 at 9:22 am | Permalink

hi girls,

i’m not sure how sake came, let me find out… we’re having so much fun here though. i read all your comments but the internet here is so sloooow i can’t always write back.

salonga’s baby died. it’s really sad, but sometimes they jsut don’t make it. etumbe had a miscarriage a few months ago, and salonga’s baby jsut wasn’t strong enough. but bandundu had a baby at around the same time and she’s doing really well.

2. Wanda, Atlanta
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I had wondered about the baby she had – she wanted to be a Mom so badly – I guess it was just sickly — so sad!

3. Posted July 21, 2008 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Oh, that’s so sad. I hope Salonga will have another baby soon. Pics of Bandundu’s baby when you get a chance, please! And thanks for the sweet story about Kataco. I’m so glad she remembered you and I want to hug her, too.

s.

4. Lucia Cristiana, Brasil
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Yes, lets go celebrate life… Kataco is a very beautiful life… Thank you for care him.

5. Christine C.
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful story! Kata is such a beautiful little diva.

I am so sorry about Salonga’s baby…I hope she has another chance to become a mom soon.

Please send pics of Bandundu’s baby!!!

6. cathy-california
    Posted July 23, 2008 at 12:03 am | Permalink

What an unbelievable feeling it must have been to have Kata remember who you are. Like everyone else, I’m so sad to hear about Salonga’s baby.